Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Selina Says:

Hi folks!
It's been a while since my last blog. I'm back in Borneo and been busy acquiring items for 8Folds.
From my last entry I mentioned that I was on a quest to learn how to make hand-pulled noodles. Well that idea has taken a back seat...I did not come across a place in Borneo to learn how to pull noodles, because hand-pulled noodle is a northern Chinese cuisine and most Chinese Malaysians here are predominantly of southern Chinese origin. What I did come across was several hawker stalls rolling out their own fresh noodles with a hand-cranked pasta maker; yes! a pasta maker! They roll out regular and flat noodles for bowls of hot yummy goodness...too easy. So...I've inherited my mom's pasta roller...all I have to figure out now is the flour to water ratio for a consistent dough for fresh noodles.
Lots of other things been going on apart from that; I've been acquiring basic and cheap kitchen stuff from Malaysia and making arrangements for shipment of 2 boxes to a friend's place in Madrid--the closest address to Lisboa. shipping takes 3 months and if my calculations are right, should reach Madrid around the time we are ready to start serving up lovely dumplings to our new community!
Speaking of food, I would like to end with food. Spending the last 2 weeks at my mom's place, I stumbled upon a couple of old pictures. Let me take you all the way back to 1982--back in the days when permed hair was all the craze, a little girl by the name of Selina knew all too well that baby food was out and noodles was in. The photo below needs no explanation.


No comments:

Post a Comment